In my house during the Christmas season, if it doesn’t move it gets dipped in Chocolate. It’s not Five Golden Rings, but Golden Pretzels, all dipped in chocolate. Chocolate covered pretzel sticks have become a favorite with my kids, they look fancy, they store well, and are easy tasty snacks.
Let’s Make Chocolate Covered Pretzel Sticks
How easy is this? Very easy! Just gather a few simple candy making supplies, clear off a space on your table, cover it with waxed paper and melt chocolate. Your imagination is the only thing that limits you. My favorite brand is are Snyders pretzel Rods mainly because they come in a hard plastic container and there are fewer broken pretzels.
Because I dip so much food in chocolate during the holidays I do use almond bark instead of Ghirardelli chocolate. I reserve the gourmet chocolate for chocolate covered cherries. But back to pretzels.
Snyder’s of Hanover Old Fashioned Pretzel Rods, 27 OunceGhirardelli Chocolate White Candy Making Wafers, 10 OunceWilton 1904-1017 Candy Melt Dipping Tool, Set of 3Wilton 415-1971 Dipped Treat Boxes, Black/White200 Clear Self Sealing Cellophane Pretzel Rod Bags – FDA approval for food packaging. (1LI-GELISI 18/8 Stainless Steel Universal Melting Pot, Double Boiler Insert, Double Spouts, Heat-resistant Handle, Flat Bottom, Melted Butter Chocolate Cheese Caramel Homemade Mask =500ML (Silvery)
How to make Chocolate Covered Pretzels
The recipe for chocolate covered pretzels is really easy and fast. You just need the following.
Stick pretzels, melting chocolate (chocolate and white), a double boiler, and waxed paper ( or parchment paper), tablespoon and fork.
- Melt chocolate or almond bark in a double boiler with 1-2 inches in the bottom pot and the chocolate in the upper bowl.
- This keeps the chocolate from getting too hot and scalding. The candy melts at a low temperature and stays smooth and creamy. The number one problem people have is getting the chocolate too hot and it gets lumpy. Many instructions will have microwave directions for melting chocolate, but it only works with small amounts as hot spots appear and the chocolate congeals into a mess.
- Bring the whole pot to the table and place on a trivet.
- Stand the pretzel on end in the pot and spoon chocolate on all sides
- Place on waxed paper
- Melt white chocolate for drizzle, 1-2 cubes in microwave, 30 seconds at a time and stir after each heating
- Dip fork in white chocolate and wave back and forth across the pretzels.
Creative Pretzel Rod Ideas and Toppings
Many people ask how I get the drizzle so neat and even. Easy, all I do is dip a fork in dark or white almond bark and wave it over the dried pretzel rods dipped in chocolate. and when they are still wet I then sprinkle the toppings. Depending on the holiday depends on how my gourmet pretzel rods will look. If its Halloween, I use spiders and ghost sprinkles, and 4th of July gets red, white and blue.
Shakespeare’s Chocolate Assorted Pretzel Rods – 20 countShari’s Berries – Hand Dipped Caramel Pretzel Rods – 12 Count – Gourmet Baked Good GiftsShari’s Berries – 24 Hand-Dipped Caramel Pretzel Rods – 24 Count – Gourmet Baked Good GiftsWilton 6 Color Christmas Sprinkle MixOasis Supply 8-Ounce Patriotic Stars Sprinkle Quins, LargeWilton 710-2055 Halloween Test Tube Sprinkle Set, Assorted
What other pretzel rod ideas do you have? I think it would be a great fundraiser for church or school.