Blessing in the 3rd Sunday of Advent
The third Sunday of Advent is called Gaudete Sunday. It’s when the Pink Candle of Advent is lit. Just like I described in my Advent colors post and yesterday this is a day to rejoice!
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. (Philippians 4:4-5)
Rejoice because we receive God’s blessings. Where? In church, from Jesus during multiple times during the service. Don’t believe me, let’s count.
When do you receive blessings in church service?
- In the opening of the Lutheran Service the Salutation “The Lord be with you.”,
- The apostolic greeting “Grace, peace and mercy to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ.”
- At the end of the sermon, before the Lords Supper,
- Another after the Words of Institution “The peace of the Lord be with you always”
- During communion after receiving the Lords Supper
- Finally, at the end of service during the Benediction.
Six times that I can count, and many times after I hear a blessing during service I take a deep breath, breathe it in and I feel myself relax. Just like when you receive counseling from someone and it soothes your soul and centers your mind. Now does the title Wonderful Counselor make sense?
So REJOICE, for the Wonderful Counselor is coming!
Weekly Advent Readings: Saturday, 3rd Week Advent
Today’s Reading Matthew 11:2-11
Daily Lectionary: Isaiah 33: 1-24; Revelation 5: 1-14