Rumchata Cupcakes Recipe
Those who know me know I LOVE Rumchata, it is a tasty creme based treat that taste like drinking Cinnamon Toast Crunch, yes really. So when I saw this Rumchata Cupcake recipe I had to get out my bottle and start baking!
Can you say yum yum?
I’m not really a drinker, seriously. But I do enjoy margaritas and sweet drinks. You know the ones, they go down smooth and taste oh so good. But you can also cook with it, and when I found Rumchata cupcakes on Pinterest I had to give it a try.
I’ve learned that Rumchata is not available everywhere in the country, but it’s spreading fast and the mix recipes are popping up everywhere from Rumchata French Toast to a yummy sounding RumChata Rootbeer float.
There is even a Rumchata Phone Recipe App!
According to the official Rumchata page, this oh so yummy drink originates from a concoction the ancient Egyptians made for the Pharaohs from the tiger nut. It’s been extremely popular in Spain, “Antonio Banderas popular”, so that says a lot.
Since the tiger nut is hard to come by in the Americas, rice-based Horchata is now served extensively throughout Mexico and Central America, where the recipe is often passed down generation to generation. These authentic recipes include varied mixtures of rice, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and either water or dairy.
I’m not a proponent of encouraging people to drink, but ladies (yes it’s a ladies drink) this stuff is awesome!!
Ok, maybe I do encourage people to drink Rumchata, heck it was an after topic at our ladies Bible Study one week. Two of us went home and got our bottles and shared them with those who had never tasted it before. It was agreed upon that Rumchata is “Sinfully” delicious.
I have taken to rationing my Rumchata to make it last longer, so I now add it to hot Chocolate, and my summer drink favorite, Rumchata and Rootbeer.
Make Your Own Rumchata
Yes, you can make your own Rumchata, and a few of us have been known to make our own stash using Horchata mix and white rum, you can also add in real dairy cream for extra calories.
Klass Horchata, Rice and Cinnamon Drink Mix, 14.1 Oz, (Pack of 3)Sunfruit Horchata Concentrate Drink Mix 64 ozTang Horchata Drink Mix, Packets make 2 Liters (Pack of 24)Lorann Hard Candy Flavoring Oil Horchata Flavor 1 Ounce
When I saw this recipe for Rumchata Cupcakes (where else, Pinterest) I just had to try them. I would say this was my inspiration for a Pinterest party as I can’t (ok won’t) eat 20 cupcakes all by myself.
Rumchata Cupcake recipe
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick, at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup RumChata
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Combine sugar & butter and beat until fluffy
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, & cinnamon, set aside
- Mix the RumChata & vanilla together, set aside
- Alternating, add in the flour mixture and RumChata mixture into the butter and sugar. Start and end with the flour mixture.
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form (this will be easiest in an electric mixer)
- Fold egg whites into the batter – do not do this in an electric mixer, use a spatula
- Fill cupcake liners
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cake “bounces back” when touched.
RumChata Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 ounces of cream cheese (1 1/2 packages, at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick, at room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- 5 tbsp of RumChata
- 1 package of confectioners’ sugar (2 lb. bag)
- Combine butter and cream cheese until smooth
- Add vanilla
- Slowly add confectioners’ sugar
- Mix in RumChata (use more or less based on the thickness of the frosting. The more you use, the more flavor)
- Frost the cupcakes
Reviews were mixed, the cupcakes tasted like spice cake, a little heavy, but,…the frosting took the “cupcake, so to speak. It’s a very sweet, vanilla flavor with a touch of cinnamon. Since the alcohol bakes out of the cake, and there is very little in the frosting these were not 21 and older restricted. My daughter loved them and could have eaten just the frosting.
What to do with the leftover Rumchata? Drink and be merry of course.
What Else Can You Make Besides RumChata Cupcakes?