Our cucumber crop this year was amazing and I’ve been making pickles several times a week. For the first time I tried refrigerator pickles instead of canned. I’ve always avoided refrigerator pickles due to the lack of refrigerator space. But, we’re eating them so fast it doesn’t make a difference.
Even my daughter who only likes dill pickles likes these. She said they are sweet, but different.
The recipe is very easy and fast.
- Sliced cucumbers (about 4 large)
- Sliced sweet peppers
- Sliced onion
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 TBSP salt
- Ground Garlic and pepper seasoning. (to taste about 1 TBSP)
- Pack cucumbers, peppers and onions tightly into jars. Mix all ingredients into saucepan and bring to a boil until sugar dissolves and liquid is clear (about 10 min)
- Pour into packed jars, seal and store in refrigerator.
- Let soak for 24 hours before eating to let the vinegar and flavors combine.
- Store up to three months (but they won’t last that long)
- Sweet Heat Pickle Relish (sassysusancreates.com)
- Enjoying Summer Cucumbers (simplycooking.wordpress.com)