Our cucumber crop tends to be pretty amazing and after I’ve had my fill of cucumber sandwiches I turn making homemade pickles. For the first time I tried refrigerator pickles instead of canned. I’ve always avoided refrigerator pickles due to the lack of refrigerator space. But, we’re eating them so fast it doesn’t make a difference.
Even my daughter who only likes dill pickles likes these. She said they are sweet, but different.
The recipe is very easy and fast.
Homemade Sweet Pickles
- Sliced cucumbers (about 4 large)
- Sliced sweet peppers
- Sliced onion
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 TBSP salt
- Ground Garlic and pepper seasoning. (to taste about 1 TBSP)
- Pack cucumbers, peppers and onions tightly into jars. Mix all ingredients into saucepan and bring to a boil until sugar dissolves and liquid is clear (about 10 min)
- Pour into packed jars, seal and store in refrigerator.
- Let soak for 24 hours before eating to let the vinegar and flavors combine.
- Store up to three months (but they won’t last that long)
You can easily make hamburger relish by using a handy chopper and processing the finished pickles into cucumber relish for macaroni salad, burgers or hot dogs.
I have purchased my canning supplies a little bit over the years and love my canning funnel and lid magnet. Seriously, the right tools make the job faster and easier. My Mom made jelly, canned tomatoes, and put corn and strawberries in the freezer.
Ball Mason Jars Wide-Mouth Can or Freeze – 16 oz 12pkTattler Reusable Wide Mouth Canning Lids & Rubber Rings – 12/pkgOrchard Road Regular Mason Jar Canning Lids, Full Case! 360 Lids (30 dozen), (Lids Only; No Rings), BPA FREE!Norpro 605 Canning Lid RackJarden Home Brands Ball Secure Grip Hot Jar Handle (Discontinued by Manufacturer)Back to Basics 400A 7-Quart Aluminum Home Steam Canner
I guess I have continued the tradition and during the summer my big canning pots and supplies pretty much stay out on the cabinets all week for a quick batch of pickles, jelly, or jam.
More Homemade Pickle Recipes