As I was cleaning out my refrigerator I found some sad, wrinkled apples. Me being me, and not being fond of wasting food I decided to make these apples into a dessert. There wasn’t enough for an apple pie so I scoured my cupboard and found a few silicon baking tart pans.
My make do Apple Tart recipe is very easy. Had to be, I was short on time and was feeling lazy. Pyrex glass bowls work just as well for this, I just didn’t have a matching set. Yes it’s all about taking the food photos I tell my husband as he rolls his eyes.
- 1 apple per tart (any kind you have around)
- Cinnamon, Allspice, Nutmeg, white sugar (to tell you the truth I didn’t measure, geee surprise)
- 1 TBSP Flour per tart
- Butter (1 TBSP per tart) GOTTA have real butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled (again, gotta have REAL butter)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/3 cup ice water
- Slice one apple per tart directly into baking dish
- Mix flour, sugar and spices together
- Sprinkle liberally on apples
- Place a pat of butter on apples
- Cut out rolled pie crust and place on apples, cut vent holes in crust.
- Brush with butter or egg whites (which I forgot, but it makes the end result look pretty)
- Bake on cookie sheet in 350 oven for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown
- Combine flour and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer. (I used a plain bowl) Cut butter
or margarine or butter and shorteninginto tablespoon pieces; add it to the flour and butter. Use the paddle beater (fork) to cut the butter and flour together. Alternatively, this can be done by hand with a pastry blender. ( I used to have one) With the mixer on low speed, or while stirring the mixture with a fork, pour in the cold water. When the dough starts to clump, and before it turns into a ball, stop stirring.
- Lightly knead (mix and mash with hands) dough in the bowl until it forms a ball. Divide dough into two parts. Flatten each part into a disk, and chill for about 30 minutes before rolling (didn’t do that, just put out on floured counter and rolled with my Pampered Chef Roller).