You heard right, Meatloaf Cupcakes, according to my daughter two words that should never be put together. But based on the response from uploading a picture to Facebook I think my Meatloaf Cupcakes with Cheesy Mashed potato frosting deserves some blog time.
I didn’t find this idea on Pinterest, it was a Family Magazine recipe while getting my hair cut, although anyone who wants to Pin this is more than welcome.
Meatloaf cupcakes are actually quite easy. In very simplistic terms, use your favorite meatloaf recipe, bake in muffin tins and frost with mashed potatoes. Easy peasy. Now, for a beginning cook who has never made either cookbook staple here is my recipe below. Remember I’m a “creative cook”, recipes are used as guidelines and measurements are liberally flexible.
- 2 lbs of ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Salt & Pepper (1/2 tsp each)
- Cupcake tins (didn’t have these so I baked them direct, messier, and not as pretty)
Mix raw ground beef with all the remaining items on the list. Scoop into balls and press into muffin tins. Glaze with ketchup and bake at 350F for 45 minutes.
Mashed Potato Recipe
- 4-6 potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Peel and slice potatoes into 1/2″ pieces.
- Boil in a large pot of water (make sure water is at least 1/2″ over potatoes) until easily poked with a fork.
- Drain water (save potato water as stock for cooking) and add milk, butter, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Mash all ingredients together with a potato masher, or blender.
- Add cheese and mix with wooden spoon until cheese is melted. (add more for cheesier frosting)
- Insert mashed potatoes into a piping tube, I used my Pampered Chef decorating tube (did I tell you I got a lot for my wedding)
- Top with grated salt and pepper
- Mini Meatloaf Cups (ordinarydayinparadise.wordpress.com)
- Superbowl food (picsoffood.wordpress.com)
- Turkey Meatloaf (hookedontaste.wordpress.com)