The Worlds Best Caramel Apple Dip
Found this Caramel Apple Dip recipe several years ago, and it’s the best I’ve every had. I should know, I’m a caramel apple addict. Every year I lose my index card and have to dig for it again, but it always turns up in a drawer, or my recipe box, in the wrong section.
So I’m posting it here for posterity, then I can always do a search where ever I am. Yes, the recipe is at the bottom and I did eat all the apples on the plate and the 1/2 cup of dip in the bowl. Yes, I’m a pig, oink, oink, smile.
The fastest way I’ve found to slice apples is obviously with a STURDY heavy duty apple slicer, don’t get the cheap variety, but the ones with big handles for lots of leverage. If you’re slicing lots of apples, say for a Fall Harvest Party or a Halloween get together then you will want to treat them so they won’t turn brown.
How to Keep Sliced Apples From Turning Brown
You can soak your apples in a bowl of water mixed with either citric acid and water (found in canning supplies) pineapple juice, lemon juice, or a salt water bath. The choice is yours. Here are a few suggestions
- Honey and Water: 2 TBSP per cup of water
- Salt Water: 1/8 teaspoon per sup of water
- Lemon Juice and Water: 1 Tablespoon per cup of water
- Fruitfresh: 1 teaspoon per cup water
Caramel Apple Dip Recipe
Here’s the recipe as I found it in Taste of Home’s Simple & Delicious magazine 2006
Ingredients & Directions
- 1 package (14 oz) caramels
- 20 large marshmallows
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (mmm butter)
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream (full octane cream, mmmm)
- Apple slices
- Place caramels in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 minute.
- Add marshmallows (which in my opinion don’t count as sugar) ;
- Microwave for 1 minute or until marshmallows are melted, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in butter and cream until combined.
- Serve with apple slices. Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield 2 1/2 cups
I have made this every year and every year it is a hit. The last time was for a football and harvest moon party and I made a double batch and kept the dip warm in a small slow cooker. Seriously, there were kids filling cups of caramel to and scooping it out like candy. I’m the same way, my husband asks me, “Having some apples with your dip”, yup, this apple dip it THAT good!
Apple Recipes for Fall
My neighbor has apples and I’m looking for good apple recipes I can fix and freeze, or even can. Something besides applesauce, maybe even a good apple pie filling recipe. If you have one please share. In the mean time I’m going to be scouring Pinterest and some recipe books.