Again it’s soup time. I would call this Chicken Noodle Soup, but my son said it didn’t have the right kind of noodles and had too many vegetables, so it’s homemade chicken vegetable soup instead. Regardless, David had two servings, so it must of been pretty good. What more can I say about soup that I haven’t already said.
Homemade soup is ideal for anyone on a budget and who wants to save money. I buy raw carrots, celery, and onions, chop and freeze for easy use and then use frozen corn (better yet free farm corn from my neighbor), or add beans. When I find chicken on sale I stock up and put it in the freezer. Easy and economical.
- Chicken $1.99/lb (3 lb chicken = $3.01 divided by 2 for another meal)
- Onions $1.79 divided by 4 batches
- Carrots $1.49 divided by 4 batches
- Celery 0.99 bunch divided by 4 batches
- Frozen Corn $1.00/bag divided by 2 batches
- Seasonings (buy once use multiple times) $4.00
The onions, carrots and celery you chop and freeze for future batches of soup and the seasonings you can also use for future recipes. In the end you can make a over a gallon of soup for less than $5.00 a pot and less than 0.35 per serving. That is saving my friends.
I used some frozen chicken broth I had saved in the freezer (that reminds me I need to make some more) and just went into my refrigerator for the ingredients.
Homemade Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 10-12 cups chicken broth (I don’t measure, I just what I have to fill the pot)
- 1-3 cups Additional water (if you need it, I didn’t this time)
- 4 chopped cooked chicken breasts (prepared and waiting in my freezer)
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup celery
- 2 TBSP dried ground parsley (Grind in your palm to release more flavor)
- 1 tsp onion powder (or include real onion)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 cups pasta (use whatever you have) Add last 15 minutes
Add all the ingredients together in the order listed above in a large pot, with the exception of the pasta. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for an hour. Add pasta, increase heat to med low and simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes. Serve and enjoy.
Freeze leftovers for tasty meals later. My soup pot is rarely put away during the winter and my favorite freezer containers are the Ziplock Twist and Lock bowls. It is VERY important to have a secure lid when packing soup for lunch. I don’t want my soup spilling all over the car during my commute or in my lunchbox.
T-fal A92280 Specialty Nonstick Stockpot Stock Pot, 12-Quart, BlackZiploc Twist ‘N Loc , Medium Round, Containers & Lids, 2-Count (Pack of 2)The BrokeAss Gourmet CookbookFamily Feasts for $75 a Week: A Penny-wise Mom Shares Her Recipe for Cutting Hundreds from Your Monthly Food BillFreezer Meals: 39 Gluten Free Meals From Freezer To Crockpot Plus Shopping List To Save Time And Money-Cook On A Budget And Eliminate Gluten … Cooking, Freezer Crockpot Meals) (Volume 6)