There is a reason why I only make the original Chex Mix a few times a year. It disappears in no time at all. I would have to take out a loan just for the cereal. Seriously, I make a double batch and it’s gone in 3 days.
I’ve even been known to buy the pre-made bagged Chex Mix at the convenience store when I’m having a craving.
Yes, I know my kids could and would live on cereal alone if I let them. Chex Mix I guess gives them that excuse.
But, it’s more than that, maybe the tangy Worcestershire sauce? The Lawry’s Seasoning Salt? My daughter loves that stuff so much she puts it on everything, popcorn, corn on the cob, eggs you name it. She calls it “Special Salt”
Whatever the appeal we love homemade Chex Mix and I should know the recipe my heart. But I never want to get it wrong so I always go to my handy AllRecipes website and look it up. I don’t know why I even look at recipes anyways, I change them anyways.
Secret to the BEST Chex Mix Recipe? Use REAL Butter
Seriously, butter makes everything better – why use 6 TBPS of butter when you can throw in the whole stick!
That means I have to add more Worcestershire sauce, and that means more cereal and pretzels. Before I know it, my VERY large Turkey roasting pan is overflowing with my own custom make, scrumptious Chex Mix.
To lower the cost of this addiction and save some money I use the generic varieties of cereal. This time I used the Walmart toasted cereal. It’s half the price of the Crispex cereal or Chex brand name. Can’t tell the difference it disappears just as fast.
Original Chex Mix Recipe Oven Method
There are a lot of original recipe Chex Mix sites out there, but I find mine published on the back of the box. This is truly the ORIGINAL Chex Mix Recipe. To make Chex Mix party mix you need cereal, nuts, pretzels and “goodies”. In my case that is the garlic bagel chips.
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups Wheat Chex (we love the wheat, so extra goes in)
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup bite size pretzels (I break mine up a little, goes further, are the really bite size anyways)
- 1 cup garlic-flavor bite size bagel chips or Rye Chips
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine (butter taste so much better)
Make Chex Mix Seasoning Yourself
You can buy the premade Chex Mix seasoning packets but you can also you can make your own Chex Mix Seasoning yourself.
Simply Organic Onion, White Powder Certified Organic, 3-Ounce ContainerSimply Organic Garlic Powder Certified Organic, 3.64-Ounce ContainerAnnie’s Homegrown Organic & Vegan Worcestershire Sauce, 6.25 ozSimply Organic All-Seasons Salt, Certified Organic, 4.73-Ounce Container
Honestly, I only did this myself because I ran out of the little freebie packets they give away near the cereal section during Christmas. But homemade Chex Mix seasoning is so much tastier and you can vary it anyway you like. Me, I add more garlic powder.
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- In large roasting pan, (the one you fix the turkey in)
- Mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and Rye Chips (Rye Chips are important) – set aside.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on high about 40 seconds or until melted.
- Stir in seasonings.
- Pour over cereal mixture, stir until evenly coated.
- Place in oven and “toast” for approximately 50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Cool on paper towels and store in airtight containers.
The stirring is important, and I set a timer so I won’t forget. Every 15 minutes I stir. Within 30 minutes the aroma and smell make the kids hover in the kitchen. They don’t even wait for it to come out of the pan. They eat warm Chex Mix by the handful. During Christmas, I store Chex Mix in large Christmas tins and we spoil ourselves for two weeks. The rest of the year it goes in Ziploc bags.
If you don’t have time to make homemade Chex Mix you can have a whole case shipped to your kids as a college care package from Mom and Dad via Amazon.
There’s my foodie obsession of the day. Enjoy!
Party Snack Ideas
If you’re looking for more convenient party snack ideas to add to make life easy and your party stand out, check out these ideas.